Friday 17 January 2014

Birthday Butterflies


Hi, I've been playing some more with my inktense pencils.

I used Sienna gold for the butterfly wings and used a water brush to blend the colour out. I used tan for the wing accents.
 When I did my colour chart I had written down tea as the colour, but it definitely says tan! I visited the optometrist yesterday and I have new glasses coming! It's amazing how much my vision has deteriorated in the 2 years since my last visit.

I was inspired  by the challenge at  Inkspirational to use brown and yellow. Not a combination I've used much before.


At Seize the Birthday the theme is colouring using any medium you like.


In addition to the inktense pencils I used  distress inks to colour my base card.

At Cuttlebug Mania, the theme is distressed.

At Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge, the theme is to emboss it. I used Versafine ink & clear embossing powder on the butterflies and the sentiment and I dry embossed the base with  Petal Pleasures folder.

At Simon Says Monday challenge, the theme is anything goes.

Supplies:
Stamps:. Hero Arts Antique engravings; Annabelle stamps sentiment.
Inks & Colouring: Versafine, clear embossing powder; distress ink, inktense pencils.
Embossing folder: Couture Creations Petal Pleasures and my Cuttlebug.

Thanks for visiting :)

24 comments:

Susanne Vargas said...

Beautiful and sunny!

jimlynn said...

Beautiful coloring with those pencils and a totally gorgeous card!
Lynn

Sharyn Polesel said...

It looks like you did a great job with all of the challenges! What a beautiful card, love the colors and those lovely butterflies! Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday!

sandie said...

these butterflies are stunning Cathy. Thanks for joining us at Ink

rachel said...

such a vibrant and beuatiful card Cathy - wonderful! Hugs rachel x

♥Gemma♥ said...

Truly stunning card and thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving me such a sweet comment on my ATSM gdt card...
hugs and xxx
Gemma

Meighan Wheller said...

Wow - beautiful butterflies and Love the card. Fabulous use of the colours from our challenge at Inkspirational. Thanks for sharing with us Cathy and we hope to see you again soon. Meighan DT

Sue said...

This is gorgeous, Cathy! You have achieved such a lovely depth of beautiful colours with the pencils. The background is great too. xx

Darnell said...

The warmth just radiates from this beautiful card, Cathy! Your choice of Monarchs against that meadow of gold was inspired!! Enjoy the weekend! Hugs, Darnell

Bonnie said...

What beautiful butterflies, Cathy! And a wonderful embossing folder!

Sandra said...

Sweet card! Love the combo of the yellow with the brown. The butterflies are gorgeous! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Marina said...

Brave of you to try a new colour combo and thank you for choosing ours! You've made a great card - love the embossed background and the colouring of the butterflies is beautiful.
Thank you for joining us at Inkspirational Challenges. Come back next time! Marina

Linda said...

Your butterflies are absolutely beautiful. Lovely card.

Anita in France said...

What a stunning, rich, textured background, Cathy ... perfect for those amazingly coloured butterflies ... so lovely! Anita :)

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

I think your gorgeous card matches the colour inspiration perfectly ! The inking over the embossing is fabulous. I also enjoy Inktense pencils :) Happy Weekend, Shirleyx

MaryH said...

You make the most amazing butterflies! These are lovely, and especially so, against this fab embossed background. Would not think of these colors together, but they are really very pretty & you created a marvelous look to this birthday card with the products & colors you have chosen. TFS & Hugs.

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Perfect colour combination, Cathy, and the background is really lovely and rich. Those Inktense pencils are brilliant. I have also just treated myself to the Inktense blocks. I am totally hooked on Derwent things, and have most things to play with. I still possess some of the Lakeland crayons I bought when I was young which was when I got hooked. As far as the technology is concerned, I hate to be beaten by a mere machine. xx Maggie

roffeycreations said...

Gorgeous as usual - butterfly queen !! Mxx

Karen M said...

Gorgeous card Cathy - I love how you used these two colours together and those butterflies are so pretty! hugs xx

Kimbo said...

So beautiful Cathy. Strong colours but you've made it look so delicate. Thanks for playing along at Cuttlebug Mania this time x

Anonymous said...

How beautiful Cathy-Gorgeous card :) Your butterlies look stunning against the background.
Hugs,Nessa xxx

cheiron said...

Gorgeous. Love your embossed background. Thanks for playing along with us in the EMBOSS IT Challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week!

Macarena said...

I am totally in love with your project! The color is so uncommon and amazing. Love the butterflies and the embossing. Stunning!
Thank you for joining us at Seize the Birthday!
Hugs, Macarena DT

Jodene said...

This is so pretty, I love the butterflies! Thanks so much for playing along at Seize The Birthday :)