Sunday 2 June 2013

Tattered Flowers in a tiny vase


Hi, I've had great fun today making these little flowers! The hardest part was trying to decide what to put them in. I had a glass spice jar, a terracotta pot, but this little jug seemed to work best for now. I think I got it from my dad when I was about 16! (yes, that's a long time ago!!)

I have admired the work of Amy Bowerman at Plucking Daisies for quite a while, she has made some totally amazing paper flowers. One of her tutorials for making hydrangeas is here

I cased her hydrangeas to make a few flowers for this simple bouquet. I cut the smallest flower from watercolour paper and inked both sides with antique linen distress ink. Then I added some picked raspberry and some squeezed lemonade distress ink. I spritzed with some blush perfect pearls in water and dried them off with my heat gun. This gave the flowers a bit of a sheen. Lastly I added a bit more colour to the edges.

I  added some greenery with the Poppy Stamps Meadow Leaf die. I glued 2 diecuts together, then attached the really fine florist wire to the back with glossy accents, so I could attach them to the bunch and twist them to where I wanted them.

Here's a close up of the bouquet, next to a kindy glitz bottle (it has glue in it).


I'm going to enter the challenge at Cuttlebug Mania where the theme is to create a 3D project with a Summer theme. I think raspberry and lemonade are bright summer colours. I cut my flower and leaf dies with my cuttlebug.

I used snippets to cut my greenery, so I'm entering the snippets playground at Pixie's Crafty Workshop.

I'm entering a new challenge for  me at Inkspirational, where the theme is Anything Goes.

At Simon Says Stamp, the theme is Anything Goes.

Materials used: Tim Holts tattered flower die; Poppy Stamps meadow leaf die; distress inks; Perfect pearls; beads; florist wire and tape; paper piercer; watercolour paper; glossy accents.

Thanks for visiting :)

22 comments:

Monica said...

These flowers are heavenly... love the sponging. They look almost real.

sandie said...

wow Cathy, these are stunning. They look so real! And the vase is the perfect choice to display them especially as it is from your Dad! Thanks for joining us at Inkspirational.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Ah Cathy these are exquisite well done!! Shaz in oz.x

roffeycreations said...

OMG - they look amazing - you did a fantastic job... The colours are perfect - Mxx

Irene said...

Such beautiful flowers.
luv
irene
xxxx

Marina said...

This is lovely - a really different project and such pretty colours. Thank you for joining us at Inkspirational Challenges. Come back next week! Marina

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful little bouquet and it looks perfect in the little pitcher! How nice to have such a happy memory attached to it!

Amy* said...

Cathy these are gorgeous! I just adore the colors you chose...so bright and fun! You did a fabulous job thanks so much for sharing the link love :). Have fun with that tattered florals die!

Amy*

SandeeNC said...

I love your flowers, they look just perfect in the tiny jug that your dad gave you, that makes it twice as special! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

Sue said...

Wow, these are a-maz-ing, Cathy! They look so like real flowers, beautiful colours too.

Darnell said...

I think raspberry and lemonade are delicious in the summer, too! And I think you are rocking the challenges for this one, Cathy! You are going to be a standout at the playground at Pixie's, that for sure and I smell a winner. Your flowers are beautiful and impeccable and the well-loved vase from your father is perfect to hold them!!

scrappymo! said...

What a wonderful, teensy little bouquet...how lucky that you had the perfect wee vase!

Darnell said...

PS Congratulations on winning some of Loll's sensational Card Candy!!

Mynn xx said...

These are just beautiful! LOVE the bold summer colors--such a fabulous creation! Thanks for joining us at Inkspirational! :)

Di said...

Crumbs - these are absolutely delightful Cathy! So sweet and such pretty and fresh colours.

Hugs, Di xx

Cathy said...

thanks Darnell, I am so thrilled. I'll probably just look at them and drool and never use them, for a while anyway :)

Kerry said...

I thought your flowers were real, the couldn't possibly be made of paper. Fantastic. Thank you for joining in at Cuttlebug Mania this week.

Sarn said...

How absolutely lovely! Brilliant use of your snippets.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

MaryH said...

Cathy, these flowers are just so realistic looking, so very pretty. And how super that you had a tiny vase just perfect to display them in. They look like they took 'forever' to make. TFS the link too.
Oh yes, just saw Darnell's comment about your win, so big congratulations on your prize. I follow Loll so I'll have to check out what you won. I'm sure it is just what you wanted and something you'll make a fantastic card using! Hugs

Melissa Bove said...

This is beautiful! Love it! Fabulous work!!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

Also, if you have time, please Make a Card for Maddy! And there is a fab Giveaway too!

hugs...
Melissa
Simon Says DT

Debs Willis said...

Pretty flowers! what a lovely idea

Debs x

Karen Petitt said...

Oh my goodness - thank you, thank you, thank you! These are stunning and I thought that someone had photographed flowers to show at the playground. Thank you so much for sharing them and for sharing the link - I will be making flowers when I can! Karen x